Monday, March 17, 2008

The Supper of the Lamb

It's always amazing to me how difficult it is, here in the farming midsection of Michigan's mitten, to find locally grown meat.

I'd wanted very much to purchase Michigan lamb for Easter. There are a number of sheep farms in mid-Michigan, so I thought all I had to do was call a couple of local meat packing places and find out where they got their lamb. Well...they get it from New Zealand and Australia. By the time I found a relatively local farmer who sold his lamb retail we'd given up and purchased a leg of lamb from Meijer.

All of which is to say...there's got to be a better way to get farmers together with people who want to purchase locally grown food; better than playing phone tag, better than driving around the countryside until you find a roadside stand or "For Sale" sign.

One online resource for those of you who'd like to join our household in "eating locally" is Local Harvest . You can search for organic/sustainable produce, meat and dairy products by state, by product or by venue.

If you check out my sidebar, there's also a search widget courtesy of Sustainable Table , to help you find better food sources in your area.

1 comment:

zorra said...

Yeah, I've been planning my hunt for the elusive (and it shouldn't be) Texas lamb. I am determined not to settle for NZ lamb this year--it seems ridiculous.