Friday, March 21, 2008

A Good Friday Five



1. Our prayer concerns are as varied as we are this day. For whom would you like us to pray?
Please pray for our little friends across the street -- who are coming over tonight for an egg hunt/Wii and pizza party -- that God's protective hand will rest on them no matter where they find themselves within the next few weeks. And please pray for our friend struggling with substance abuse.

2. Are there things you have done or will do today to help the young ones understand this important day in our lives?
Since the kids across the street have no real context in which to understand Good Friday or Easter, we're just going to take it as it comes if they have questions. As far as the kids in my congregation -- we've been giving them little coloring/activity bulletins during the service that help them relate to the day's lessons. I know we're passing out Good Friday editions tonight.

3. Music plays an important part in sharing the story of this day. Is there a hymn or piece of music that you have found particularly meaningful to your celebrations of Good Friday?
"O Sacred Head, Now Wounded." "My Song Is Love Unknown."

4. As you hear the passion narrative, is there a character that you particularly resonate with?
I'd love to pick a more noble character -- one of the faithful women, for instance, or Joseph of Arimathea -- but I think I'm actually more like one of the anonymous passers-by: looking away in distaste; shaking my head; muttering inanities to my companions; quickly getting "back to business."

5. Where have you seen the gracious God of love at work lately?
I think -- and I say this with all humility -- that I've felt God at work in our household, connecting us with people who need help. They just seem to fall into our lives. And, frankly, they complicate our lives, and sometimes break our hearts, and sometimes fall back out of our lives. But that's okay.

8 comments:

Sally said...

prayers for your evening with the little ones " across the street", ma they see something special in you.

Scott said...

What a great play, especially #5. I've sensed this just reading your posts about the folks across the way.

One of the things I love about the new hymnal (and I'll confess that I have many) is the pronoun change in "My Song Is Love Unknown"

"Then 'Crucify!' is all OUR cry."

Reminds me that I'd have been a pretty good Pharisee. Still would be, actually.

Law+Gospel said...

I like your answer to #5. We too have the house where people who need help drop in and drop out. But tomorrow one of them will be baptized at the Vigil. Tomorrow's post topic.

Sue said...

Prayers for the little ones across the way. They are blessed to have you there. Prayers too for your friend struggling with substance abuse.

A blessed Good Friday to you.

RevHRod said...

Thank you for sharing your five. I hope your evening is a good one. Ditto to Rev Scott.

Muthah+ said...

LC, I used My Song is Love Unknown Sunday after the passion. I picked from the LBW (we don't get our ELW's until after Easter) and was totally thrown--the tune wasn't the same as the BCP. That is my alltime favorit--but it has to go with the RIGHT TUNE!

This has been a good Friday 5 for today. I have seen graciousness too.

Auntie Knickers said...

You are definitely one of the bloggers who helps me see God at work in the world. Thanks, and happy Easter!

Tom in Ontario said...

I read your blog a lot but usually skip over the "Friday Five." This was great!