Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Meme Meme Meme Meme!

Oh, so many memes, so little time. My friends bls and some of the RevGals have done the Meme of Four; I'll give it a shot.

Four jobs you've had in your life:

(unpaid) farmhand

janitor

legal proofreader

strugging-nonprofit gal Friday


Four movies you could watch over and over:

Casablanca

Rear Window

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Fried Green Tomatoes


Four places you've lived:

an old stone hip-roofed farmhouse with a wonderful front porch

a formerly swanky, later down-at-the-heels apartment that had its good points -- a beautiful, sunny yellow upstairs bedroom, built-in bookcases, colorful neighbors, once-nice wooden floors, design elements that led me to believe that, once upon a time, someone cared -- but also bad points like windows so flimsy that in the wintertime the Visqueen that covered them billowed out like sails in a nor'easter, a perpetually leaking, circa-1950 refrigerator and supers who spent all day smoking dope and all night screaming at one another

a back apartment inside an old Victorian monstrosity -- the front of the house was a real estate agency -- this was to be, I thought hopefully, my Mary Tyler Moore apartment; until the fleas hatched, several days into my arrival; two of the more interesting weeks of my life

a little white bungalow in the 'burbs


Four TV shows you love to watch:

(I don't know if I have four, and if I love them)

American Experience (sometimes)

Globe Trekker -- escapist fun, even if I don't want to drink rancid-butter tea in Mongolia anytime soon

Fork in the Road (a homegrown Michiganian public TV cooking show)

Northern Exposure and Homicide: Life on the Street -- R.I.P., both of them, and I only mention them because they're the last TV shows I really did love


Four places you've been on vacation:

Toronto

Leelanau Peninsula and surrounds

Grand Haven/Hoffmaster Beach/Blue Lake area (home of Whippy Dip ice cream joints)

an electricity-free, water-pipe-less hut in the middle of the Michigan woods

(As you can see, LC doesn't get out much)


Four websites you visit daily:

Google

lots-o-blogs

CNN

Beliefnet


Four of your favorite foods:

curry (of various kinds)

my mom's smothered chicken

spanakopita

especially these days, RED MEAT (any kind and cut will do), and lots of it


Four places you'd rather be right now:

stalking the elusive thylacine in Tasmania (really)

being alternately nurtured and challenged at a retreat house somewhere

warming myself, after an enjoyable snowshoe hike, in front of a crackling fireplace in a Benzie/Leelanau County B&B, drinking real hot chocolate while watching the snow gently fall outside

soaking up culture and essing gut in some historic European city -- preferably somewhere a little off the beaten path, like one of the Baltic countries

There's a Meme of Two going around, but I think you've all had enough of me for the time being. So -- tag! You're it!

4 comments:

JWD said...

Red meat, huh? Full moon or low iron? :)

LutheranChik said...

Low iron, unfortunately.:-/ (I'll spare you the perimenopausal details.) I am rather iron-intolerant -- I can't take iron pills or even multivitamins with a lot of iron in them -- so the doc told me to eat more iron-rich food; and that is what I'm craving anyway, and can ingest without a problem. Nice rare beef with a spinach dish on the side, and some marinated white bean salad...mmmmm; that'd hit the spot.

On the other hand...sometimes I do feel like howling at the moon...

Anna Sorenson said...

TV--try "My Name is Earl" mighty entertaining, mighty thought provoking.

LutheranChik said...

Anna, you know, I saw the first episode, and I thought it was swell...I think I even blogged about it. But I have television ADD -- I just don't pay a lot of attention to the schedules, and it's hard for me to develop "brand loyalty."