Since I have very little profundity to share, I'll play this meme -- hat tip to Lutherpunk . Here are five songs that I secretly enjoy, but am ashamed to admit that I enjoy.
1. Stairway to Heaven. Yeah, I know.
2. Nights in White Satin -- with the entire "Late Night Lament" appended to it. It's heavy, man. And I can actually still recite it word for word, a fact I find frightening (especially when other, important information, like where I parked my car in the Meijer lot, frequently escapes me).
3. All My Exes Live in Texas. This one really embarrasses me, because I am known at work as the Country Music Hater.
4. The Codfish Ball. This isn't really a guilty pleasure -- I make no bones about adoring this ditty -- but people, including my own mother, don't understand my attraction to what is a Tin Pan Alley masterpiece. How can you not love a song with lyrics like "Oh, the catfish is a dancin' man/but he can't can-can like the sardine can"? It's genius.
5. Have You Evah? The line about getting pinched in the Astor Bar makes me laugh like a five-year-old, every time. What can I say? I'm easily amused.