Friday, October 24, 2008

LC Goes Contemporary Christian Format

No, no, no, no. It's not what you think. I haven't gone over to the dark side of "Christian radio."

Part of that is aesthetics; I just don't like it. Part of it is political; having listened to Christian talk radio, I'm disinclined to listen to musical programming broadcast on the same stations for the same reason that, if I were Jewish, I wouldn't listen to music on a White Power station. Something about sandals and sand and shaking and moving on.

But I'm hearing more contemporary Christian music than I have for a long time, thanks to the gym, where every so often the patrons switch the station from headbanging classic rock to a local all-music Christian rock station.

My impression is...sounds like any other "hits" station. You've got your jangly, edgy alternative sounding stuff, maybe followed by some rap, maybe followed by a power ballad, maybe followed by...well, you get the idea. And I generally can't discern the lyrics anyway -- it's just a lot of wonk-wonk-wonk -- so whatever spiritual uplift I might derive from these Christian themed songs must be purely on a subliminal level.

On the other hand, while trying to twiddle the dial in FT's Jeep the other day I wound up listening to another local Christian station...at first I thought I'd wandered onto a "light hits" station until I realized that the glurgy "my boyfriend" tribute being warbled by the singer was all about her boyfriend Jesus. Oops.

So my close encounters with contemporary Christian music these days haven't killed me...haven't made me stronger...haven't done much of anything except make me miss traditional choral music more. But not in the gym.

2 comments:

LoieJ said...

My boyfriend Jesus, And he touched me. Yikes. Creepy music.

BTW, I've been thinking about so called Praise Music. Isn't most Lutheran music "praise" music in the sense that we are praising God for who He is rather than singing about our reaction to God and how that makes me feel?

toujoursdan said...

My friends give me a hard time because I like Amy Grant.