Thursday, November 29, 2007

Veggie Tales

We're trying to eat at least one vegetarian supper per week. I volunteered to make last night's supper, with a dish in mind I remembered from one of my old college-era hippie-dippy cookbooks. I found it, or a reasonable facsimile, on the Internet (Google rocks). Here it is.

Monastery Lentils

2 onions, chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
olive oil
1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
3 cups broth (I just used water with some tamari soy sauce thrown in)
1 cup diced tomatoes (I only had Italian-seasoned 'maters, but these worked out fine)
1/2 tsp. thyme; 1/2 tsp marjoram
salt and pepper
1/4 cup sherry
cheese of your choosing


Saute onions, garlic and carrot in olive oil until onions are soft and translucent. Add broth, seasonings and lentils; cover, bring to boil, turn heat to low and then simmer until lentils are soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed. (I like my lentils less soupy, so at some point I like to take the cover off the pot and let the liquid evaporate.) Add tomatoes and seasonings and simmer until warmed through, adjusting the seasonings to your taste. Add sherry; simmer for a few more minutes. Serve with your favorite cheese atop the lentils. (I used our leftover up-north raclette.)

Speaking as official intermittent taste-tester...this dish is great even without the sherry or cheese. We enjoyed it muchly last night; I had mine with a slice of Amish garlic-dill bread...mmmm.

1 comment:

zorra said...

Mmmm...lentils. The original "Lentils, Monastery Style" (from Diet for a Small Planet) is one of the Scientist's favorite winter meals. It's good without the sherry and (usually Swiss)cheese, but we like it much better with them. Hot buttermilk cornbread is the usual accompaniment at our house.