Friday, April 14, 2006

Ecce Homo

Ah, holy Jesus
how hast thou offended
that man to judge thee
hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided,
by thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.

Who was the guilty?
Who brought this upon thee?
Alas, my treason,
Jesus, hath undone thee.
'Twas I, Lord Jesus,
I it was denied thee;
I crucified thee.

Lo, the Good Shepherd
for the sheep is offered;
the slave hath sinned
and the Son hath suffered;
for our atonement,
while he nothing heedeth,
God interceedeth.

For me, kind Jesus,
was thine incarnation,
thy mortal sorrow
and thy life's oblation;
thy death of anguish
and thy bitter Passion,
for my salvation.

Therefore, kind Jesus,
since I cannot pay thee,
I do adore thee,
and will ever pray thee;
think on thy pity
and thy love unswerving,
not my deserving.

-- Johann Heermann


"Ecce Homo," Georges Rouault Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Our Postcommunion hymn was this one. Thank you for posting and giving me the opportunity to read it this time instead of sing it. I can focus on the words more than the music.