Friday, September 14, 2007

Friday Poetry Bloggery


















My Cabela life jacket came in the mail yesterday, and tomorrow I will be going on my maiden voyage in a canoe, in a shallow, newbie-canoeist-friendly local river. I didn't find a lot of inspiring canoe poetry, but I did find a paen to Canada by Billy Collins, one of my favorite poets, that reminds me of many of the things I love about living "up north," even though I'm not quite that far up north. And I also found a nice seasonal painting by noted Canadian artist A.Y. Jackson that fits perfectly. I hope that my Canadian blog buddies, especially, will enjoy this post.

5 comments:

toujoursdan said...

Love the painting. If you ever get here to Ottawa, be sure to visit the National Art Gallery. ( http://www.gallery.ca/ ) You'll find some good stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

The poetry foundation ate your p[oem. I just got a screen saying "the poem you requested is unavailable".

Beth

Josh and Tim said...

I ran across your blog after a search on home altars. You have a nice one. I have pictures of mine on our blog: joshandtim.blogspot.com. There are several. I think I have nearly every season covered. My grandmother made cloths for mine.

Stay in touch and Happy Holy Cross Day!!

LutheranChik said...

Well...that's interesting. The case of the disappearing poem...

LoieJ said...

As an owner of three canoes and another one on order (no regular boats, though) maybe I could compose a canoe poem, or at least a limerick. Or maybe some doggerel. Sounds like there isn't much competition. I'll let you know.

BTW, if you wear glasses, get one of those things that hold your glasses on. You'll feel more secure. Tipping out isn't likely; we've never tipped in over 30 years. But you want to feel like you aren't going to lose something important like glasses.