Saturday, November 01, 2008

"No Reading, Please -- We're Republican"

While reading The Daily Beast tonight, I came upon Paul Theroux's account of his rather Palinesque encounter with Hawaiian governor Linda Lingle:

I was introduced to Gov. Lingle at a political event not long after her reelection by a friend who insistently repeated my name. When the governor looked blank, my friend said, “The writer! He writes books!” She said, “I don’t have a lot of free time for reading,” and moved on.

Is this a new plank of the Republican platform -- that books are bad, and you shouldn't read them? That, in fact, you should be proud of the fact that you don't read books, and because of this don't recognize the names of famous authors?

Two-and-a-half hours from Canada...that's what I keep telling myself...two-and-a-half hours from Canada...

4 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

Funny, yet sad and very scary! The first thing that worried my about Palin.

Ruth said...

This past winter I finally read Fahrenheit...if for no other reason, the irony was getting to me that I'd only watched the movie on TV a few times and NOT read it!

That book has so much to say for today. I hope that it is required reading, if not it should be.

The Simpleton said...

Canada: better, but perhaps not perfect--What is Stephen Harper reading?

toujoursdan said...

Stephen Harper is creepy. He reminds me of Darth Vader - cold, calculating, control freak and a few other adjectives I can't use here, but he is an advanced-degree holding economist from the University of Calgary, which is a top tier school. He also went from speaking badly mangled 3rd year French to near fluency in a span of about 20 months.

You couldn't pay me enough to vote for him, but I don't think he's a Palin or a Lingle.