Friday, November 21, 2008

"Mix and Stir" Friday Five

It sounds like at least one RevGal/Pal is headed for the kitchen this coming week of Thanksgiving. So we are appliances.

1) Do you have a food processor? Can you recommend it? Which is to say, do you actually use it?
I do have a food processor. It is at least 10 years old. I think it's a Hamilton Beach -- not the cheapest but not the fanciest by far. As to whether I actually use it...probably once a year. Although one year I got a bee in my bonnet about grinding my own ground round and pulled it out of its cupboard lair a few times for that purpose. My big issue with this thing is the lid, which requires a graduate engineering degree to get on and off. By the time I've figured out either action, I could have chopped my food by hand.

2) And if so, do you use the fancy things on it? (Mine came with a mini-blender (used a lot and long ago broken) and these scary disks you used to julienne things (used once).)
I do have a disk capable of slicing or julienning. It's lethal -- not only the specialty blades, but the sharp edges of the disk. I've drawn blood numerous times, which is another reason my food processor tends to stay in a dark recess of the cupboard, gathering dust.

3) Do you use a standing mixer? Or one of the hand-held varieties?
I have a mondo cheapo plastic handheld which I very rarely use. My mother, by contrast, had a wonderful, sturdy stainless steel standing mixer that she got for her wedding, which was a good and faithful kitchen servant for about 40 years before the engine finally went kaput. I used to be the family (box)cake maker, so I got out that mixer at least once a week for that task during my 'tween and teen years; on special occasions I also made my mother's very delicious cooked icing, which started out as kind of a roux in a saucepan, then wound up getting whipped into fluffy, caloric goodness. (Where is that recipe, come to think of it?) I am also old enough to remember Whip-n-Chill and Jello 1-2-3 dessert -- it magically made three layers right in the serving dishes -- and used to get a kick making that.

4) How about a blender? Do you have one? Use it much?
We just bought a blender. We've not done much with it; used it for smoothies a couple of times.

5) Finally, what old-fashioned, non-electric kitchen tool do you enjoy using the most?'s got to be my vintage potato masher. No, I don't whip potatoes with a mixer; please.

Bonus: Is there a kitchen appliance or utensil you ONLY use at Thanksgiving or some other holiday? If so, what is it?

Another legacy kitchen utensil of mine is a 50's-era nut chopper with a spring-loaded top and heavy glass bottom. It works like a charm, and I wouldn't trade it for anything, especially making nut-intensive cookies like Russian tea cakes. That device pretty much only comes out for the Christmas baking season.


Shalom said...

ooh - I have that 50's-era nut chopped thing too. I forgot about it (also used mostly for Christmas cookies).

Love the Bass-O-Matic photo.

Auntie Knickers said...

I'm with you on the mashed potatoes! And I can see how the nut chopper would be a good thing. When I chop by hand, the bits fly off the cutting board and the dog eats them. When I use the processor, it's too easy to make nut butter when you didn't want to.

zorra said...

Well, I admit it--I mash potatoes with a hand mixer--but having grown up eating that dessicated stuff that came in a box as "mashed potatoes" (same era as Jello 1-2-3!)at least now I only eat real potatoes!

Processing Counselor said...

When are you coming to the big apple. Time for coffee?

Songbird said...

Those lids are cursed. Or cause cursing. Something like that.

Mary Beth said...

I have my mom's nut chopper! Glass jar thingy. It rocks.

Crimson Rambler said...

I recognize that nut-chopper, it was a good one!