Friday, September 23, 2005

David -- King of the Blues

You are the Lord;
do not hold your compassion from me;
in your love and faithfulness keep me safe forever,
for innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see;
they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, o Lord, to deliver me;
o Lord, make haste to help me. -- Psalm 40


I used to have plenty of money, the finest clothes in town,
But bad luck and trouble overtaken me, bound to get me down.
Please have mercy, Lord have mercy on me.
Well, if I've done somebody wrong, Lord,
have mercy if you please. -- "Sinner's Prayer," Glenn & Fulson


Today I've been listening off and on to Eric Clapton's From the Cradle , his tribute to blues classics. Listen to those samples...have mercy, indeed!

I think if David were alive today he'd be jamming with Clapton.

No comments: