Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A Memo To Franklin Graham

MEMO

To: Franklin Graham

From: LutheranChik

Re: Your CNN Interview

Franklin: I caught the transcript of your CNN interview, where you talked about Hurricane Katrina being God's vehicle for "bringing revival" to New Orleans. I was glad to see you repudiating the idea that Katrina was divine punishment upon N'awlins for its free-and-easy lifestyle; among other things, the fact that the notorious French Quarter came away relatively intact, while the poorest, most vulnerable residents of the city suffered the most casualties, might suggest to an unbeliever that God has really lousy smiting aim. So it was smart of you to stay away from the Pat Robertson School of Theological Meteorology.

In your interview you noted,in regard to the rebuilding of the city, "Well, I certainly hope that the gospel of Jesus Christ will be preached." Hey -- me too. When people lose their homes, their jobs, their loved ones, their hope, I'd certainly hope that we who claim Christ are living Christ into those circumstances as best as we are able.

"I want to see men and women converted," you said. "Jesus said, 'I am the way, the way and truth and light. No man comes to the father but by me.' I believe that the only way that we can approach a holy God is through the person of Jesus Christ." Well, I think we'd probably have a run around the mulberry bush arguing what "but by me" really means, because in my soteriology it means that Jesus' salvific work is what has redeemed humankind -- not that we are saved by thinking the right things about Jesus. But I'm Lutheran; you know we like a good gniff-gnaw once in awhile over stuff like this. And I'd think that, even if you couldn't agree with me, you'd at least respect my point of view, which is held by a sizeable number of our fellow Christians.

You added: "And Jesus Christ came for sinners. I am a sinner, and Jesus Christ gave his life on Calvary's cross for the sins of this world. We put our faith and trust in him. God will forgive us and he will cleanse us of all of our sins." I'm with you on that one.

But then, Franklin, you start to lose me. You said:
And I would certainly pray that the gay and lesbian movement, the people that have this lifestyle[sic], will come to know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and savior and experience their sins being forgiven. God -- the Bible says -- "God so loves the world" -- that includes New Orleans -- "that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shouldn't perish but have everlasting life."

See, the thing I'm not getting is...there are a whole lot of gay and lesbian Christians out there. We've come to know Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior. We've experienced our sins being forgiven -- every day, just like you. Yet you make it sound as if "gay" and "Christian" are mutually contradictory adjectives. Why is that, Franklin? Do you really think that?

See my blogroll, over there to the left? If you scroll down it, and click on the links, you are going to find yourself reading the weblogs of gay and lesbian Christians who love Jesus every bit as much as you do, who seek to follow Jesus every bit as much as you do, who strive to be decent, honest, caring people, mending the broken places in the world just as you do. You're also going to find the weblogs of straight Christians who walk with us; who affirm us unconditionally as sisters and brothers in Christ.

My parents used to watch your dad's crusades religiously -- pardon the pun -- when I was growing up...even though his decision theology was pretty heretical stuff for them. They just liked hearing Billy Graham preach. So I grew up hearing him. And I actually read a couple of books by him, when I was old enough to do so. Even though I don't always agree with your father, I think he's a class act, as far as TV preachers go. And one of the things I admire about your dad is his ability to admit he's wrong, and to change his mind. I remember him relating, somewhat wistfully, in an interview that he wished he'd had a more rigorous theological education; that he knew he had a deficit in that area. I thought his humility was admirable. I also remember when he became an advocate for better relations with the then-Soviet Union, and how some of his fellow conservative evangelicals turned on him, even suggested he was getting a little dotty. That took courage -- to go against the party line within the Religious Right and be his own person in service to a more peaceful world.

I think, Franklin, that you could do worse than to follow your father's example and take the risk of living a more examined life of faith. You might start by considering the fruit of the faithful gay and lesbian Christians, and asking yourself how people you seem to consider depraved and unsaved can and do live Christ into society, and into their relationships with others, every day.

Finally, Franklin: I'm a student in a lay ministry program. I don't know where my new vocational road will take me; whether I'll wind up primarily as a helper in my own parish, with this blogging sideline, or spin my knowledge and training and passion into other endeavors to further the Reign of God. But one thing I do know: I don't want voices like yours to be the only Christian voices that gays and lesbians ever hear.

LC

4 comments:

Cathy said...

LC,
I did not have an opportunity to see the transcripts, but could put together what the issues are from your blog entry. Well put.

I don't know where your path will take you, whether it be lay or ordained, but whatever God calls you to be, it is apparent that you will listen and respond to the call. I look forward to following that journey with you through your blog.
Cathy

Rev. Kidd said...

My prayers are with you Lutheranchik. There are a lot of "Christians" who are afraid of gay and lesbian christians. I have to admit that I don't know many of them except what I've encountered on the web. Jesus kept company with the outcasts of society and not the holier than thous so whose side is it that we are on?
I am currently attending a Reconciling in Christ Lutheran church so I am listening

Bag Lady said...

I'm standing with you, sister!

Dora said...

Personally I struggle with his mentality and would prefer to not hear his voice at all.
What is up with these people who believe that they have been self appointed as God's publicity/press secretary and pretend to understand *why* God does what he does or allows the things that He does?
I feel the itch of Satan every single damn time I hear someone vomit the idea that God sent those hurricanes to rid that area of sin OR that gay people can't be good christians (whatever the hell that means?)
These dorks don't have the market on understanding God's ways/will - they just have the market on being a prime example of what it means to provide verbal proof of just how ignorant they really are.