Thursday, October 27, 2005

Clicks For Cures

Breast cancer has always been one of those issues that, for me, was something of an abstraction, even though statistically speaking I'm at a somewhat higher risk than average for developing it. Until Melissa Etheridge was diagnosed. Because we're about the same age. And seeing her on the Grammies, while she was undergoing chemo, hit it home: That could be me.

The Breast Cancer Site , one of the sister sites to The Hunger Site , is currently running a campaign to raise money for mammograms for poor/urban/minority women. Those of you familiar with these "donate by click" websites know that all you have to do is click a button on the website, and a small amount of money will be donated by the site underwriters to the cause in question. This isn't a joke; it's the real deal. And this month, every click on The Breast Cancer Site counts triple for fundraising. (You can only click once a day per computer.) So -- g'head. Click it.

I know it's easy to roll one's eyes at these "no pain" fundraising programs. It's not costing us anything, other than a couple minutes of our time; the contributions are miniscule; the websites are junked up with a lot of fundraising bling-bling, feeding the bottomless maw of our aquisitiveness. There's just nothing noble, or sacrificial, in it.

That may be true. But I look at it this way: If I opened my back door one day to find an emaciated child holding out a plate -- I'd feed her, wouldn't I? If I were confronted by a poor woman without health insurance who needed just a couple of bucks to finally get the money to get a mammogram -- I'd dig into my jacket pocket and give her enough money to make up the difference, wouldn't I? It's the same principle. If you know that you can help someone by doing something, even if the something is a dinky little insignificant thing -- you do it. It's a no-brainer.

So -- head over to The Breast Cancer Site and click the button to help fund a mammogram. And check out all those other websites that promote health and literacy and concern for the environment, and give them a click too.

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: