Friday, October 21, 2005

LC's Friday Five

What was the last CD you purchased?
"Guard Us Sleeping," by the Brothers of the Society of St. John the Evangelist

Did you like it?
Yes.

Is it the kind of music you would call your favorite?
Let's say it's on my short list.

What was the first album (CD for you youngsters) you ever owned?
The Beatles' classic "Revolver," which an extremely indulgent maiden aunt (who otherwise wouldn't have known the Fab Four from Fab detergent)bought me for Christmas one year when I was about 13, because she knew I liked the Beatles. (This was back in the day, kids, when grocery stores had bins of LP records; that's where she'd found my album.)

And what was your favorite cut from that recording?
I'm not sure I had a favorite...I remember enjoying all the musical experimentation -- George's sitar music, the electronic monkeying-around on "Tomorrow Never Knows."

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Guard us Sleeping sounds like something I might need to check out since that prayer is one of my favorites.
Cathy

LutheranChik said...

Cathy: It's a great CD -- the whole Compline service, sung. It's recorded by Cowley (also a ministry of the Brothers), but I had to order it via Amazon because Cowley, for some reason, wouldn't accept my credit card.

Cathy said...

You are feeding my addiction....

Charlotte said...

Cathy, it is well worth it.

I have had it for a while and just finally played it ... it's wonderful.

A pal of mine from the Ship has it burned to her iPod ... office to go!

Anonymous said...

Maiden aunt?
Oh, Lord, I wonder if that's what my nieces call me.
Note to self: get married next week.

I had the distinct advantage as a child of having younger parents who liked the new music as much as I did. I grew up on beatles tunes.

LutheranChik said...

Peripatetic: Actually, that has always been my aunt's moniker for herself..."your favorite maiden aunt.";-)

I haven't got any nieces or nephews, so I do not have to worry about what they call me. Perhaps yours call you, "Our cool aunt." That would be what I would aspire to in aunthood -- shocking coolness...even at my advanced age.;-)