Sunday, July 10, 2005

A Tasteful Conversation

You've got to love a Christian book that starts out with a quote by Virginia Woolf: "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

I've just begun an online book discussion of L. Shannon Jung's Food For Life: The Spirituality and Ethics of Eating, facilitated by the author (who is traveling and eating through France -- nice work if you can get it! -- describing his experiences as he checks in on our message board). We're going to be discussing issues like our own relationship with food; food as a sign of God's goodness and generosity, and hunger as a metaphor for our hunger for relationship with God; how food relates to our life as relational beings; eating disorders and food system disorders as indications of our human brokenness; transforming our personal and corporate actions and attitudes in ways that can restore our enjoyment of and appreciation for food as a good gift of God, as well as our desire and will to share that gift with others.

This discussion has come at a timely point for me, because I've made some significant changes in my own eating and shopping habits -- admittedly mostly self-serving changes, to benefit my health, but ones that have led to other positive outcomes -- rediscovering my sense of adventure and experimentation in cooking; shopping and eating more mindfully and gratefully; relearning the concept of "enough"; readjusting how food fits into my sense of the larger scheme of things. On the other hand, I think the fact that I do have to watch what foods I eat these days tends to sometimes put me in an almost adversarial relationship with food, which damages the sense of food as a good gift. So I'm looking foward to exploring some of these issues with others.

One thing that has helped me change my eating habits is giving myself a day off, once a week or so, from my usual regimen. As an example: Today after church Mom and I took a road trip to Standish for lunch at Tony's Tacos. Tony's isn't even a restaurant; it's just a seasonal taco stand and a couple of picnic tables located in the parking lot of a butcher shop at the city limit. The proprietor is from Mexico -- he goes back down south in the fall -- and makes some of the best Mexican fast food I've ever eaten. Today we had delicious, corn-y pork gorditas with tasty shredded pork topped by fresh pico de gallo, washed down with Mexican pop and accompanied by canned tejano music. It was worth every calorie and fat gram. A woman ahead of me in line noted that the place was so busy yesterday she couldn't find a place to park...she drove back and forth waiting for the crowd to thin out, but it didn't, and she finally had to give up. A middle-aged Midwestern surfer dude who sat at our table -- it's that kind of place; strangers wind up sharing tables -- opined that Tony's food was more authentic than that in Mexicantown in Detroit. We enjoyed it muchly; it was a good gift, and we gave thanks. If you're ever on Michigan's sunrise side, going up M-13, just inside the Standish city limit, look for the taco wagon on the west side of the road.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh: at my little parish's delegation to a recent Episcopal church-growth seminar (of which I was a member . . . even if I find the project dubious *g*), the one thing we came away with, was a new motto for St. James, Albion: "Food for Your Journey"!

Not by bread alone . . . but it doesn't mean there can't be tasty bread (and cheese, and fruit, and meat, and pancakes, and wine, etc. etc. etc.!) also. :-D

[On another topic: LC, why do you (and bls) have Blogspot blogs which let lil' ol' Non-Blogspot Me comment on 'em, when most Blogspot blogs won't? Can you do anything about this? I can't even complain to the ones which won't let me post because, well . . .
:-( ]

LutheranChik said...

J.C.: Ever read Robert Farrar Capon's "Supper of the Lamb"? Excellent book, making the same points about food, and the sharing of food, being a sign of God's goodness and generosity. (I love Fr. Capon anyway...one of your tradition's good gifts to the rest of us.)

Re screening the comments -- if I recall, that's an optional (and changeable) setting for one's blog. If a Bloggerite with a "closed" blog has an e-mail address listed, I'd e-mail him or her and argue for openness and inclusion.;-)

Anonymous said...

Well, I've been unable to find *Christopher's email addy on his blog.

I've kvetched about it here, and on bls's blog, but either he hasn't received the message, doesn't know how to change his Blogger set-up, or just hasn't gotten the proverbial Round To-It [If you could e him for me, hint-hint]

Haven't read the Capon book (Capon? Doesn't his very name suggest food? *g*). What w/ my thousands of others---too many, as I believe IT indicated (on my blog---I haven't gotten my "Round To-It" to add to any more, either! (But if I see him at Goodwill, or Salvation Army, I'll be sure to add him to the over-grown library! ;-p)

LutheranChik said...

Yes, I think Capon's last name is quite ironic -- he was born to write about the theology of food.;-)

And now I can't stop thinking about Dan Ackroyd doing Julia Child on SNL.;-)

Charlotte said...

I am so pleased to learn that Outer Podunk, Michigan, has taco trucks. If only seasonally.

Usetabe you could only get good Mexican food in Places-that-used-to-be-Mexico.