Friday, July 08, 2005

Friday Bloom Blogging

Here's my little herb garden. It started out with a leftover purple sage and lemon thyme plant from one of my planters last year that, in the fall, I'd just stuck in the ground behind my garage, not really expecting them to survive the winter. They did, and I felt sorry for them, languishing away back there. So I wound up planting them in this long planter with a couple of leftover annual salvia that I didn't know what else to do with, and then filled in the blanks with other herbs I'd picked up here and there: a variegated culinary sage; some marjoram; a silver thyme; dillweed; bronze fennel; pineapple sage; purple-leaved basil; salad burnet. For a project that "just growed" with no planning whatsoever, it turned out pretty well, and I've already started snipping herbs for recipes...except for the pineapple sage, which is a bit overpowering, and I think more valuable for the pretty red flowers than for its culinary value. (It really does smell like pineapple, by the way.)

 Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

bls said...

Well, that's a cutie of a garden. I'll have to take a pic of mine, too - and I love your Friday Bloom Blogging thing, BTW! Great idea.

I was just hanging around my garden this evening, checking everything out. We're having really hot, alternately really rainy and really sunny weather this year, so everything's a mile high. Basil, parsley, thyme, oregano, tarragon, mint, sage, sorrel, leeks, etc. And the tomatoes are huge, and more tiny buds every day! And the hot peppers! It's gonna be a nice harvest this year.

LutheranChik said...

I have to do bloom blogging instead of dog blogging because my dog looks like he's had a close encounter with a weed whacker...his "hair lady" went out of business, and when I tried cutting his hair myself he rebelled after about 15 minutes, so now he's running around looking like the canine version of Bill the Cat.;-) ("Ack!")

We've had lots of rain too -- actually, we're having what used to be a normal summer, which we haven't had in many years, so we've become unused to all the rain and the seasonable temps.

I'm not going to post tomato pictures until mine get some color...the fruit are still awfully small. The Italian tree tomatoes, though, are growing like gangbusters -- they're already 6 inches taller than my long bamboo stakes, and growing every day; they're also loaded with little oblong embryonic tomatoes, about 8 to a cluster.

LutheranChik said...

And yes, BTW, let'd do dueling garden photos.;-)

LutheranChik said...

"Let's."

Sheesh...not enough coffee...

fausto said...

My herb gardening tip is to plant a few catnip plants among the tomatoes. It doesn't do nything for the ctnip, but if there are any cats in your neighborhood they will start haning out in your garden an that will keep the peskier critters from gnawing on your best tommies the day before you were going to pick them.