Sunday, July 17, 2005

Firefighting

Last week St. John's Reformed United Church of Christ in Middlebrook, VA, was vandalized by fire and grafitti, in apparent response to the UCC's recent affirmation of blessing same-sex marriages. Read all about it at Talk to Action; follow the link above.

If you would like to help this historic congregation with a donation and words of support, contact:

St. John's Reformed United Church of Christ
1515 Arbor Rd.
Staunton, VA 24401


If you don't think this is "your" issue, prayerfully consider Pastor Martin Niemoller's warning against complacency in the face of bigotry and oppression:

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.


Hat tip to bls for this news item (which, unsurprisingly, did not seem to be burning up the wires in the mainstream media).

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Thanks for the address.

I heard this at the time via the ChristianLeft and dark_christian communities on LiveJournal.

LutheranChik said...

Strangely enough, I had to hunt all over the place for an address...I was on, like, the last page of my Google search before I found it. Evidently it's not exactly in Middlebrook, hence the difficulty finding the address via the UCC website.

Ann said...

Thanks for the address. I went through the google search, but gave up before you did.

This is an awful piece of news. There's so much hatred in our country these days.