Yay! This week's RevGalBlogPals' Friday Five is all about my favorite season!
It's that time of year, at least north of the equator. The windows are still open, but the darned furnace comes on early in the morning. My husband went out for a walk after an early supper and came home in full darkness.
And yes, where we live, leaves are beginning to turn.
As this vivid season begins, tell us five favorite things about fall:
1) A fragrance Burning leaves...curing roadside foliage...ripening apples and pears. Take a deep breath...mmmmm.
2) A color The wine-red of ash trees.
3) An item of clothing Oversized sweaters, my alma mater's hoodies, and tweed jackets. (Although -- have you tried finding one of these lately that's not some short-cut, pinched-waist, foofy-sleeved, ridiculously lapelled, belly-exposing travesty of a tweed jacket? What ever happened to those sharp women's hunting tweeds from the 20's and 30's?)
4) An activity I am very much a fan of fall picnics, whether tailgates or a basket of sandwiches in a local park on a crisp autumn day. I enjoy trips to apple orchards as well as my own backroad expeditions for "volunteer" apples. Color touring is another weekend enjoyment. And then there's just walking down a quiet road, with leaves gently falling down around and crunching underfoot.
5) A special day We're looking forward to two special days at the beginning of October, when we're going back up to the Leelanau -- the bed and breakfast that we'd intended to stay at with The Kids earlier this year, before their flight got hopelessly delayed, let us move our reservations, in lieu of a refund. Sad for the boys -- yay us.