Sunday, June 22, 2008

Waiting at Table



Well, readers, today was the day I presided over the Eucharist for the first time, in the absence of our pastor.

Unlike preaching, a task that normally causes me some major anxiety both in terms of preparation and execution, I was remarkably calm during this portion of the worship service; by God's grace I was able to get out of my own way and enter, first into the ancient rhythm of the liturgy, and then into the eyes of my fellow parishoners -- some of whom come to the altar burdened in heart-rending ways -- as they came up with outstretched hands. What a gift to be able to offer one another when we are weak; hurting; seeking; sad.

I was smiling all the way home.

5 comments:

LoieJ said...

I'm glad: it went well; you felt good about it; God was with you; and that your bishop allows such things because I know that it isn't allowed in many places. (Or maybe the pastor didn't ask, which could be just as well.)

PamBG said...

Blessings. :-)

(Lost for any other words.)

Trish said...

I am glad that all went well for you. An ordained Episcopal Seminary friend was talking to me once about how when people approach the rail (to get communion), you can look into their eyes and a lot of times see that things are amiss. She said that is sacred because you can offer to that person what is most needed; words of Jesus' promise to always be with us. Thanks for reminding me. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Can there be anything more full of grace than Communion?!!?
Savour it and hold it close to your heart and spirit.

zorra said...

I rejoice with you. What a holy privilege.

IMO, the very best thing about being an elder in the Presbyterian church is getting to participate in administering the sacraments. Such a joy.