Friday, June 06, 2008

Summertime Meme

RevGalBlogPal St. Casserole and others have been passing around this meme:

1.) What first tells you that Summer is here?
Dandelions -- more of a summer than a spring thing, to me.

2.) Name your five of your favorite distinctively Summer habits or customs.
Taking down the storm windows. (Ack.) Getting an ice cream from the local mom-and-pop ice cream joint. Hanging out on the front porch in the cool of dusk, or with breakfast coffee on the weekend. Watching Fourth of July fireworks. Visiting an art fair.

3.) What is your favorite smell of Summer?
'Round about the beginning of July, when the days are getting hot, there's a certain combination of pine needle and woodland herb that I just love -- if I could figure out how to capture it in a potpourri so I could take a therapeutic whiff of it in January, I would.


4.) What is your favorite taste of Summer?
Strawberries -- berries of any kind, actually; rhubarb; charcoal-grilled meat; honey rock melons; ratatouille.


5.) Favorite Summer memory?
When I was a kid I used to pick wild strawberries in our pasture -- I'd disappear for an entire day and bring back quarts of strawberries.

6.) Extreme heat or extreme cold? Which would you choose and why?
I'd much rather be cold than hot. It's easy to find natural remedies for cold -- do some brisk exercise like snowshoeing, or build a toasty wood fire -- but for extreme heat, not so much.

7.) What books do you plan to read for the season?
I don't know how much reading time I will have this summer...but I do want to read something by Anthony Bourdain, the snarky host of "No Reservations" on The Travel Channel. And there are, I think, at least two books by fisherwoman Linda Greenlaw (of The Perfect Storm fame)I've not yet read that I'd like to read, re-inspired by "The Deadliest Catch."

6.) How does the Summer affect your faith? Is it a hindrance or an ally?
I know it affects my church attendance, in the negative direction...on the other hand, I think the increased outdoor time provides more meditative, listening-for-God moments.

Like this meme? Then tag -- you're it. Pass it on.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Summer!

LoieJ said...

Gosh, quarts of wild strawberries??? Wow, you must be very persistent.

I didn't know Bourdain had a book. I've seen his show a few times, not on a regular basis. Did you see the one in (?) Namibia (what ever country is NE of S. Africa.) He ate what he was served, saying it was the worst meal of his life. I almost barfed watching him eat. I won't even post what it way.