Friday, June 13, 2008

Do What You Love...

I realize that I'm having a kind of slow-motion revelation about vocation.

Last night, as an exercise in cheering myself up, I thought about the activities of the week that brought me pleasure and a sense of accomplishment and a feeling of engagement in something meaningful. What came to mind were planning my sermon for this coming Sunday; getting in touch with some organic farmfolk in -- I can't believe it -- my own county, who are trying to organize a CSA and otherwise promote their products; and working on my own little project for connecting church members with one another and church neighbors who grow food.

What I'm feeling right now is a gentle urge to follow my heart and my interests where they lead, and concentrate my energies there -- something that I've never felt the freedom to do because of my blue-collar family's assumption that real work is by definition hard and unpleasant, and something you do because you have to and not because you want to.

3 comments:

PamBG said...

Yay! :-)

May I recommend 'Sleeping with Bread' if you are not already familiar with it?

http://tinyurl.com/4o2v7g

LutheranChik said...

For some reason that title reminds me of the family story about one of my great-aunts who used to somehow stow her bread bowl under the bedcovers to keep the dough warm and rising overnight.;-) (It must have been a very large bed!)

zorra said...

I was thinking about that the other day--about how cool it would be if you could somehow find work promoting and/or networking related to local food. Go girl go.