Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dinner, Michigan Style

I tried a new trick on the grill today -- I made planked whitefish.

I soaked a couple of cedar planks -- back in the day I understand that the pioneers just used cedar shakes, the same things you roof your house with, but I bought some thin one-use planks specifically made for the grill -- for several hours, then oiled them. Then I placed whitefish filets skin-side down on them. I rubbed them with half olive oil, half butter, sprinkled them with kosher salt, and then added some fresh herbs from the herb garden -- lemon thyme on both pieces; dillweed on one and a mixture of fennel, chervil and tarragon on the other. I placed these over direct charcoal heat, closed the grill and cooked them for about 20 minutes.

Absolutely outstanding. We had them with steamed spinach, tossed salad and Three-Buck-Chuch sauvignon blanc from Trader Joe's.

I just love charcoal grilling out on the front porch. My favorite weekday evenings are spent there.

2 comments:

zorra said...

Thanks for reminding me I need to go downstairs and start soaking my planks! More salmon tonight!

Anonymous said...

I am unworthy to read this blog. It's 114 here right now, for dinner I zapped Kraft mac & cheese and canned beans in the microwave for my family. I'm a bad, bad mom. : (





But I'd love to come to dinner at your place!...