Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday Five: Book 'Em

This week's RevGalBlogPals Friday Five is about one of my favorite subjects: books.

1.Do you think of summer as a particularly good season for reading? Why or why not?
For the past couple of years we have been so busy every summer that I find it difficult to take book breaks the way I would, say, on a blizzardy winter weekend.

2) Have you ever fallen asleep reading on the beach?
I can honestly say I've never fallen asleep on the beach, period...although I did recently fall asleep in a lawn swing outside a friend's lakeside cottage.

3) Can you recall a favorite childhood book read in the summertime?
When I was a kid I devoured books from the public library. One year I read every Thornton Burgess animal book on the library shelf; another year it was the Laura Ingalls Wilder books; another year I was fascinated by mythology and read every book the librarian could find on that subject. I loved books about science and animals. When I was a very small child, a neighbor lent me several Flower Fairies books, and I hoped against hope that fairies also lived in my back yard, and even set food out for them in hopes of getting on their good sides.

4) Do you have a favorite genre for light or relaxing reading?
Detective novels and humorous essays, definitely.

5) What is the next book on your reading list?
Funny you should ask. Several weeks ago I read about how Hemingway's The Nick Adams Stories had been the focus of a statewide reading program last year, and my reaction was, "Hmmm...well...better late than never." I'm waiting for an uneventful weekend to begin this project. And I do have Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential on my roundtuit list as well.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

A lawn swing, a book and a nap sounds great!

Di said...

I still think it's possible that the fireflies in nearby fields are really fairies.

Choralgrrl said...

Mmmmm...Laura Ingalls Wilder. THAT takes me back. Now I live in the part of the country where she did, an hour and a half away from Lake Pepin, Mankato, Walnut Grove...

Too cool.

Jan said...

In second grade, I remember reading the Fairy books that were named with colors--"The Blue Fairy Book," etc. I always wanted fairies to visit me.

Processing Counselor said...

I've been watching Bourdain's series on the Travel Channel. He's kind of full of himself, but he goes to interesting places and eats strange things.