Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ship of Fools

No, not the delightful Christian website . (A shout-out to any Shipmates reading this -- I've been AWOL for a very long time, but not out of any ill will...I just don't have time.) I'm talking about wine -- wine crafted by Chateau Grand Traverse. Some coworkers and I were talking about doing the northern Michigan wine tour, so it was a coincidence to come home and find some Ship of Fools on the dinner table.

This is an interesting wine. It comes in a tall, Riesling-style amber bottle, but it's actually a mixture of Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay grapes. It's dry -- very light to the point of almost-effervesence, subtly fruity and mineral-y -- but if you drink it with food, you'll experience just a tiny hint of sweetness at the end of your sip. I had it with a Subway chicken Florentine sandwich (hey -- I had to work late tonight; and living well is the best revenge),but I think it would also be really good with sea bass or other white fish, or with a vegetarian pasta dish.

If you'd like to enjoy a nice, moderately priced, food-friendly white wine, and support an up-and-coming American winegrowing region (shameless Michigan plug here) -- take a sail on this ship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to ditto your aside re: the other (delightful website) Ship of Fools, without which I never would have found this delightful little youtube clip that simply cries out to be included in your stupid Christian file (don't open at work, though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDxcyqeRc-4