Monday, February 25, 2008

"Better Late Than Never" Monday Five

What can I say? I've been in kind of a physical/mental fog over the past couple of days -- I think my body is still fighting off the bug that afflicted our home after our vacation -- making organized thinking very difficult. This morning I'm back at work -- a place where organized thinking is, shall we say, strongly encouraged -- so I need to get back in the saddle. I consider this my warm-up exercise.

Friday's RevGalBlogPals challenge asked readers to describe things heavenly. As in, what is your idea of a heavenly...

1.Family get-together Considering that my own blood relation tends to gather only for funerals, the only direction we have to go is up. On the other hand, Fellow Traveler's annual family reunion is pretty fun. And we had a real blast with our week-long mini-family get-together in Florida involving kids, FT's sister, significant others and assorted in-laws. Most of us will be re-rendevouzing in New York City for Thanksgiving this year to watch the Macy's parade (in which Semi-Stepson and Semi-Stepson-in-Law have working roles). Cool, no?


2. Song or musical piece It really depends -- anything from a Bach oratorio to a samba to Clapton playing the blues with B.B. King.

3. Gift At our house, we are pondering pooling our supposedly economy-goosing government rebates and purchasing a Wii, as a present to both of us. Hey -- that's what it's for, isn't it? We're just trying to be responsible citizens here.


4. You choose whatever you like-food, pair of shoes, vacation, house, or something else. Just tell us what it is and what a heavenly version of it would be.
Hmmm...my idea of a heavenly house would be a cozy cottage (albeit with enough yard space to satisfy the needs of two large dogs) in the Benzie-Leelanau area. The cottage itself needn't be new, but to be heavenly it would have to be in good repair: new flooring, safe and energy-efficient heating and cooling, appliances in excellent repair, nothing broken or rusty or buckling or sinking or leaking. This cottage would be filled with artwork and whimsies from the area...but would be the kind of place where you would feel absolutely comfortable taking off your shoes and putting your feet up on the furniture. And it would have a screen porch for hanging out during the temperate months; bonus points for a four-seasons room. I'd like the master bedroom in such a cottage to reflect the marvelous outdoor colors of that part of the world -- the blues and aquas and greens.

Sometimes I have visions of this imaginary home when I'm staring at the rusty air ducts or self-destructing bathroom faucet or repulsive 20-year-old semi-shag carpeting of Cold Comfort Cottage. Someday, I think...someday...


5. And for a serious moment, or what would you like your entrance into the next life to be like? What, from your vantage point now, would make Heaven "heavenly?"

I have to say...I have no expectations other than a "Welcome Home" that really feels like it. Beyond that -- I'm letting God surprise me.

No comments: