Sunday, December 11, 2005

Thank You, Secret Santa!

This past week I received my very first Christmas gift, from a Ship of Fools Secret Santa across the pond.

The Gardener's Companion is a great book -- especially this weekend, when I was logging some major couch time. It is jam-packed with useful information, poetry, humor, fascinating facts...where can I begin? Here's a list of night-blooming flowers...here's a poem by Ogden Nash...here's some information on how to bury Great-Uncle Cecil in the rose garden if you live in the U.K. and that's what you want to do...here's a list of climate zones...here's a lovely Victorian illustration of a Wardian case that's making me think of doing up a terrarium again...you've got riddles, and a chart telling you how long you can store seeds, and the story of two people smothered to death by rose petals during one of Emperor Heliogabulus' orgies, and some humorous captions appended to antique woodcuts...it's like Martha Stewart with ADD, and I love it.

I also received a lovely Christmas card bearing an evocative photograph of Corfe Castle, Dorset, in the morning mist; it looks like a scene from Lord of the Rings.

Thank you, Secret Santa!

My first Christmas gift of the year! Posted by Picasa

No comments: