Sunday, December 18, 2005

Musical Notes

Check out the MP3's of the "'O' Antiphons" at The Topmost Apple . These are traditionally sung beginning on Dec. 16th. And whether you sing them or say them, they're a wonderful addition to your Advent devotional practice as the stable of Bethlehem appears on our horizon. Thanks, bls, for sharing these.

And an alert for all Bach lovers: All this week, BBC 3 is presenting an all Bach playlist. (You'll also want to check out their Choral Evensong recordings -- this past week's was from Capetown, South Africa, and in addition to hearing a blend of traditional and African choral music you can also hear a homily by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, one of my real heroes.)

"Fling wide the door, unbar the gate" -- the King is coming!

4 comments:

bls said...

Oooh, glad you found that Bach thing. I was gonna link it myself, and especially call your attention to it.

I was just thinking this a.m., while listening to the organ voluntary after the service, how much I'd really, really like to hear Bach pieces almost every time. Yet our music director is on this serious turn-of-the-century French organ music thing: Vierne, Dupre, etc. at Ste-Sulpice. It's Phantom of the Opera every Sunday nowadays, and I'd so like it to be Herr Bach at St. Thomas Church.

Oh, well. He'll probably move on at some point, and he can play the Bach thing....

Cathy said...

Oh, I am in heaven listening to the Bach - thanks for posting this! I perhaps will share your post with our church's blog! Thank you!
Cathy

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Oooooh...thank you! I am listening to my sick 89 year old mom cough, to the faucet drip, and to the snow plow scape along the street. Unpleasant sounds, all. And then your links...um...thank you very much for a tiny bit of bliss.

Kathryn said...

It's lovely that you can hear the Bach Christmas too...makes all of you feel closer. We're loving it here...even my 13 year old is beginning the day with chorales rather that the usual rather trashy commercial rock/pop stations. I'll enjoy it even more when I can hear in both ears, but all the same...