Thursday, December 01, 2005

Synchronicity

I had lunch with my pastor today. Because he was supposed to tell me what I'm going to be doing in our service on Sunday.

Now, keep in mind that my pastor does not read my blog. I'm a little precious about maintaining some personal space around my online presence, so I've never given him the URL. And he's cool with that. (Maybe he has a blog somewhere.)

Anyway...we're discussing theology, and stuff going on in our parish, and Churchianity, Inc. (as opposed to stuff going on in our parish), and the price of eggs in Albania, and finally I ask, "So...what am I supposed to be doing on Sunday, anyway?"

"How would you feel," he responds, "about praying the Prayers of the Church?" .

Yesssss!

Actually, it turns out that I'm going to be assisting during a good chunk of the service. In an alb, even. (I asked if we have one for short, round people.) The pastor also asked me if I could do a bit of narration before my parts of the liturgy, to help folks, especially our newbies, really understand what's going on. It turns out that we've reached both a numerical and a kind of attitudinal critical mass in our congregation where people are wanting to dig a little deeper into "celebrating the Mystery."

This is cool. Very cool.

By the way, my pastor says hi. He says he wishes we could hold some sort of high-minded weekend conference at our church that would provide a good excuse to invite you bloglings and just have a good time together.

Until that happens, know that I'm taking you all with me up to the front of our sanctuary Sunday morning. Because your thoughts, your experiences, your friendship -- all of that is such an important part of my own faith journey and my sense of vocation. So you're going to be with me when I give the greeting and opening prayer at the beginning of the liturgy...when I hold up in prayer the whole world, the whole people of God in Christ Jesus, and all according to their needs...when I invite folks to share the peace of Christ with one another.

So..see you, in spirit if not in the flesh, on Sunday. Just imagine a short, round chick in an alb, and you'll be there.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Well, I think that is too cool - I wonder if your prayers of the church is like the Prayers of the People in the Episcopal church??

I would love to be there to worship, but will worship more than likely at the same time in a different place, but I will hold you in my thoughts and prayers as you lead in this important ministry.

Anonymous said...

That IS cool! Very Cool! Because of the time change, I'll likely be asleep-- or awake in the middle of the night while you are in the service... So I guess that on that night, you'll be an "angel and saint [having] charge over those who sleep..."

Thanks for that, then, and I'll be there!

LutherPunk said...

Congrats! It was doing things like that back at my old church in Florida that led me to seminary and ultimately ministry. I still feel priveleged to approach the altar.

Out Of Jersey said...

That is really cool. Hope all goes well.

Anonymous said...

Have fun chancel prancing!

Anonymous said...

Lucky lucky you! Maybe someday I'll get to wear an alb too. (I also am a short round chick.)

Jules said...

I'll be the tall round chick in the Geneva Gown secretly cheering you on from another state!

Rainbow Pastor said...

Too awesome, LC!
It is indeed a privilege--and it makes all the frustrations and worry that pastoring sometimes engenders fade away, to know you are truly doing God's work.
Pray on!

Kathryn said...

Lovely :-) So happy that you're getting your wish...Another short round one in an alb here,- who could certainly use a passing prayer, as tomorrow has so much in it that looking at it is making me feel all weak and wobbly.Have a blessed time

Anonymous said...

very short and alb-less here. I'd need kiddy-sized with ample room to breathe :)

blessings and love

You lead them right up to the throne of God tomorrow - praying that the Glory of God will fall and bring people hope and joy this 2nd Advent Sunday