Saturday, August 20, 2005

Bake Sale Sneak Peek

It's rather a dull and dreary day in Outer Podunk -- rain off and on, not much in the way of sunshine, LutheranChik nursing a headache (Julian of Norwich's headaches always seemed to result in astonishing revelations -- unfortunately for me, I just get crabby and unambitious). But, as my old buddy the ex-Marine would say, "Persevere!" So I am, by getting a head start on my cookies for our church bake sale.

I had some souvenir food (which tells you a little bit about my usual locus of concern) from my travels up north that needed doing something with...here's what I did. These are really, really good, and certainly amenable to whatever regional ingredients you may have on hand.

Benzie County Cherry Granola Bars

2 cups prepared granola (I used a no-fat organic apple-cinnamon granola)
2 cups quick oatmeal
2 cups chopped nuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup Michigan dried tart cherries, chopped
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup Michigan honey
2/3 cup oil
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar (it's plenty sweet with the smaller amount)
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Line a 9 by 13 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine the granola, oatmeal, nuts, flour and cherries. Stir in the eggs, oil, honey, brown sugar and cinnamon, if you're using it. Press mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool on a wire rack; lift out of pan by foil liner. cut into bars. Makes about 48.

One recipe down -- about seven to go.

No comments: