Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Doin' the DO: March 31

Jesus heard that they had driven him out, and when he found him, he said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" He answered, "And who is he, sir? Tell me, so that I may believe in him." Jesus said to him, "You have seen him, and the one speaking with you is he." He said, "Lord, I believe." And he worshiped him. Jesus said, "I came into this world for judgment so that those who do not see may see, and those who do see may become blind." -- Gospel of John, the 10th chapter

The Gospel of John's story of the man born blind is one of my favorites; maybe because it speaks to anyone whose conversion to, or reconnection, with faith has resulted in abuse from the faith community itself. How many of us returnees, for instance, have ever in our darker moments wondered, And I came back to the Church for what, again?

I know that in my own faith life, whenever I lose a Christocentric focus and instead start paying too much attention to Christians, things go south for me. And that's when I inevitably feel that tap on the shoulder, and hear that reminder, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?"

No comments: