Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Doin' the DO March 10: Signs and Wonders

Now there was a royal official whose son lay ill in Capernaum. When he heard that Jesus had come from Judea to Galilee, he went and begged him to come down and heal his son, for he was at the point of death. Then Jesus said to him, 'Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe.' The official said to him, 'Sir, come down before my little boy dies.' Jesus said to him, 'Go; your son will live.' The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and started on his way. -- John 4:46-50

I'm always intrigued by Gospel texts where Jesus comes off rather badly -- surly and impatient. I'm trying to wrap my head around this encounter. I don't know about you, but I'm with the dad here -- I mean, if it were my child you'd bet I'd be front and center trying to get Jesus' attention on behalf of my son. I want to say, "Hey, Jesus -- it's not about theology right now -- it's about saving this kid's life."

What do you think the author of John's Gospel had in mind by framing this encounter with Jesus in such a way?

1 comment:

Paul said...

Martin Luther had an excellent interpretation of this text that I have on my blog - http://bloggingthegospels.blogspot.com

I always thought it was said in frustration at our blindness. Now I see it less defensively. It's a statement about how we grow/progress in our faith...from level to level or from glory to glory. As we see the goodness, healing, proof of God-with-us, our faith grows stronger and more confident.

Paul