Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Canceled Due to Lack of Interest...

This is pretty sad: A couple of weeks ago I signed up for a course on Christian spiritual practices through the ELCA's Select Multimedia Resources. This was, in fact, a featured course in Select Multimedia Resources' marketing of late.

I just got the notification that class was being cancelled due to lack of interest and that my money would be refunded.

This is the second time I've signed up for this class, and the second time it's been cancelled due to lack of participants.

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm wrong to think that Lutheran spirituality should encompass more than Christ in Our Home and "Come, Lord Jesus, be our guest" intoned over the Sunday pot roast.

Sigh.

6 comments:

Sheryl said...

I didn't see that course being offered. If I had, I would have signed up. I've been looking for something like that to bring back to our congregation.

If it is offered again, and you sign up again, think about mentioning it here. You'll get at least one more registration out of it!

The Simpleton said...

The sad fact is that I don't think many people know about Select Multimedia Resources, period. Every time I mention it to someone s/he is shocked: "I had no idea!"

I'm fairly pedal to the metal at school right now, or it would have been a class I'd want to take.

Diane M. Roth said...

so: there appears to be a marketing problem, as well as a spirituality problem in the ELCA. not a surprise to me, sadly....

John said...

You are right, Diane, Lutherans don't get Spirituality. Took a course in it once in Baltimore. Very disappointing enrollment.

LoieJ said...

I agree about marketing problems. I get Seeds for the Parish. I'm sure most people don't get that. I often don't get around to reading it. Then there are other things in the Lutheran, but the advertising for anything doesn't hit the church newsletter, which is pretty good for local stuff.

Paul said...

Spirituality will only happen from the bottom up since seminaries put so little emphasis on it. Thus, our 'spiritual' leaders are well-versed theological leaders. I chose to go to LTSS because it had the best spirituality program, and it was well done...but the participation was slight, and then, the majority were students from other denominations.
We can change this...one prayer at a time.