Thursday, March 15, 2007

Slavery

It's especially timely, with the film Amazing Grace currently playing in theaters: Revisiting the subject of slavery. It isn't a "wayback" subject, either; some human-rights organizations estimate that there are now more persons living in slavery on this planet than ever before. And they're all over: children sold into servitude by desperate, indebted parents; sex slaves; enslaved prisoners of war.

Gannet Girl, on her blog Search the Sea shares the story of a freed slave. It will make you angry and sad and frustrated and ashamed, all at the same time.

Back when I was a younger chik, at college, I was an active member of Amnesty International; I think I wrote letters on people's behalf every single week. I also sent a few dollars of bottle-deposit money to an organization that helped rehabilitate victims of torture. As happens with many of us, once I became entrenched in the preoccupations of confirmed adulthood, I slowly drifted out of my activism; not because I had become disillusioned -- I thought then, and still think, that these grassroots efforts are not wasted, no matter how small on our parts and how big and scary the problem -- but because I'd gotten busy with the busy-ness of a working adult.

I've said here before that this is a fairly unstructured Lent for me; but one of the things I would like to reincorporate into my life is advocating for people outside my own circle of loved ones and friends and "tribe"; of regaining that outward-reaching way of living that I used to embrace.

6 comments:

don't eat alone said...

The most recent issue of Christianity Today is all about the subject of slavery in our time. Also, at Sojourner's website you can find a link to a new book called "Not for Sale" that also deals with the subject and what we can and need to be doing.

Peace,
Milton

LoieJ said...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2951434&page=1

I saw this on GMA yesterday and was impressed.

Anonymous said...

go to http://www.invisiblechildren.com/theMovement/ to find a screening of the film "Invisible Children" near you, or to order a copy of the DVD. Be prepared to "have your heart broken by the things that break the heart of God"

seethroughfaith said...

did you see Amazing Grace yet. what's it like?

Anonymous said...

I saw it last night. It was... amazing. Very well done, very moving. Takes a few creative liberties, but none significant IMHO. I liked that it showed Wilberforce's faith-- not just him pontificating "thus saith the Lord" but actually showing how he connected with God thru nature. The presence of John Newton, whether historical or not, was also a plus in my book. The atrocities done in the name of slavery were discussed but never shown, which made it appropriate for children (my 11 year old got a lot out of it). There's even some bits of humor (e.g. a few well-formed bon mots for his opponents in Parliament, and one I won't give away) that were appropriate and didn't detract from the overall significance of the message.

LutheranChik said...

I think it's going to be awhile before this film percolates up into Outer Podunk territory...but I'm looking forward to it.