Thursday, March 01, 2007

Serendipity

Ever discover something online on your way to something else?

I was looking for some artwork to go with a poster I was making for work, for a senior center hosting a group called the Jackpine Pickers...I Googled jackpine, and eventually my meander brought me to the artwork of Tom Thompson , a Canadian painter who specialized in wild landscapes. I love it so much because it reminds me of my trips to northern Michigan. Exploring further, I even found cross-stitch patterns for Thompson paintings; it was enough to make me want to revive my formerly ardent interest in this pastime. (Believe it or not, a few years ago I could knock off a fairly decent 18-point cross-stitch project every couple of weeks...artsy-fartsy things like reproductions of A Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady and William Morris prints.)

If I could decorate Cold Comfort Cottage any way I wished, I'd like it to be filled with artwork -- originals and nice prints, vintage and contemporary -- reflecting the "up north" landscape and lifestyle. I can definitely see a Tom Thompson on the wall.




Artwork: "Algonquin October, 1915," Tom Thompson

1 comment:

toujoursdan said...

If you ever visit the Canada's capital check out the National Gallery - there is a lot of this style of artwork on display and available for purchase at the store.

National Art Gallery