Friday, January 27, 2006

Friday Five

If you received books as holiday presents, how many and what were they? Did you buy any for yourself, and if so what are the titles?
I bought myself several books: The Daily Prayer of the Church; two books from Marva Dawn, Unfettered Hope and Truly the Community; and a book called Women's Work, about the history of women and textile-making, that I picked up for a quarter at a flea market.

Have you read any of them yet?
Nope.

What’s next on your list?
The copy of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency that I gave my mom for Christmas. (This is a fringe benefit of buying books for the people you live with.) And P.D. James' The Lighthouse, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

Do you have a favorite place to read a new book? And does the weather have an impact on that choice?
Curled up on the sofa is where I do my reading. And bad weather helps me justify being curled up on the sofa reading instead of doing something onerous and productive, like cleaning. (Recreational cooking -- another pastime made easier by inclement weather. I mean, who can argue with a big pot of soup during a blizzard?

Does reading in bed make you sleepy?
Since my dog has become the sultan of our harem, I do not read in bed, not even with a booklight, because it annoys him. He sighs deeply -- the sigh of one in pain; he grumbles; he tosses and turns. ("My God," noted one of my work friends, "he sounds like a husband.") These past few weeks, I'm so tired that I don't need to read myself to sleep anyway -- it'll be 9:30 p.m. and I'm already snorking away in the living room.

No comments: