Thursday, December 08, 2005

WTF

The soup is wearing off. The zinc caramels are not helping. My eyes hurt. My ears hurt. My face feels like there's a water balloon lodged behind it. My throat feels...funny. That's what we used to say when we were kids, wasn't it, on the cusp of a cold: "Mom! I feel funny!"

WTF, as my buddy J.C. would blog. If you have to ask what WTF stands for...bless you, my innocent friend. If you don't have to ask -- I can see you nodding in sympathy. (Or maybe I have a fever and am hallucinating.)

It's been a WTF kind of day.

On a serious note, I just read about Dr. Paul Mirecki, former chair of the University of Kansas Department of Religious Studies and professor of a class critical of intelligent design. For the crime of criticizing fundamentalists, Mirecki has been demonized by religious right-wingers, has had a Kansas state representative threaten to cut funding from the university, and was also beaten up this week by unknown assailants citing his anti-creationist viewpoint, pounding him with Kristian Luv [tm] until he wound up in the hospital with head injuries. WTF. WTF is the problem with the Kansas legislature? Who made them either experts in university-level science pedagogy or official censors of university course catalogs? I'd suggest that these self-appointed jihadists climb back into their clown cars, drive off campus and back to their respective offices, and earn their pay actually creating legislation that helps society -- that keeps people safe, that keeps them employed, that takes care of the most vulnerable. WTF is wrong with the sheeple who vote these idiots into office? And WTF do you do with people who think that their close personal friend Jesus wants them to beat up people who don't agree with them? WTFWJD?

WTF is the big deal about wishing people "Happy Holidays"? How is that diminishing anyone's respect for Christmas as a Christian holiday? WTF is happening to people, that's making them so nuts about stuff like this? I'm thrilled whenever another sentient being wishes me a happy anything.

On a far less serious note: WTF was NBC thinking, using an actual recording of Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" in a promo for Fear Factor, one of the grossest shows on network television? Is that, like, clever irony? And WTF is up with that promo for the new NBC dramedy about an Episcopal priest and his family and parish, The Book of Daniel? In 30 seconds you've got a smart-alecky surfer-dude Jesus, drugs, rebellious teens, the Mafia, talk about foreign objects in rectums, lesbians and infidelity. Sort of a bizarre mating of Desperate Housewives and The Vicar of Dibley, with some Jesus thrown in. And Law and Order. And The Sopranos. And lesbians. (Gee, thanks.) NBC is evidently very anxious to cover all the bases here...all that's missing, really, is throwing everyone in the show onto a deserted island and making them compete in humiliating contests for money.

And now my scratchy throat is swelling shut, as are my red-rimmed eyes. Something tells me I'm not going to work tomorrow. WTF.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer deal, LC about the flu thing--here's a tidbit which might make you laugh and might then hurt your throat and head...but here it is anyway. I have a jewish friend who says its a good thing she's not Christian because she could never obey the greatest commandment...when she has a WTF day, she recites this little "cheer": "Who do we hate? People! Why do we hate them? Because they're idiots!" There ya go.

Anonymous said...

Ah'm reet glad I live in t'north o' England! Us may be reet odd oop 'ere, but us don't 'ave they folks as you 'as in Kansas! 'Ead-bashing? What they afeared of?

Get well soon, LC! :)

Christopher said...

I concur nicodemia, I'm glad I'm in Essex this year, as it seems the US is getting more nasty. We are burning the bodies of our enemies and bragging about it in Iraq, we are beating up non-ID people apparently, in general the US seems to be getting a little crazy. I'm hoping to return in '06, go to Philly just in time to vote against Sanatorum and see the Dems take things back and sanity to return to the US.
Peace,
Chris
PS Sorry about your cold/flu thing L-Chik

Cathy said...

Hope you feel better LC

bls said...

Rest in bed and drink plenty of fluids. Have some tea and cinnamon toast, too.

Wow, that sounds good. I'm off to the kitchen myself.

Hope you feel better soon.

LutheranChik said...

Do cinnamon Cafe Girl Scout cookies count?...

LutheranChik said...

But, hey -- I get to watch the "Ellen" show today!

Unknown said...

Great post, LC -- pretty much somes up my thoughts on a lot of recent news items. I hope you're feeling better soon. Lots of fluids, hot tea and cinnamon Girl Scout cookies, and get lots of rest.

Anonymous said...

Oh, hope you feel better soon!

Mark Pritchard said...

> a smart-alecky surfer-dude Jesus, drugs, rebellious teens,
> the Mafia, talk about foreign objects in rectums, lesbians and
> infidelity. Sort of a bizarre mating of Desperate Housewives and
> The Vicar of Dibley, with some Jesus thrown in. And Law and
> Order. And The Sopranos. And lesbians.

You had me at "rectums." When's that show on?

Jody Harrington said...

Great rant, LC.

LutheranChik said...

Mark -- It's airing starting in mid-January. It must be a mid-season replacement.

Seeing as how I have my own extended internal conversations with The CEO, and knowing [naivete-crushing spoiler alert, readers] the often soap-operatic elements of parish life, and appreciating my tribe's new role in network television as Dingsymbole for all that is hip and urbane and cutting-edge...although, Lord knows, there are some creative projects that even we cannot fix) -- it sounds like an interesting premise for a series...but the promos are pretty over-the-top. They remind me of a commercial they used to run in a community where I used to live around Eastertime, advertising a megachurch's holiday extravaganza: "Passion Play With Live Elephants!!!!"

LutheranChik said...

Excuse the syntax...it's the virus talking.

Anonymous said...

JCF gets quoted, and it's "WTF?": fitting, somehow!!! ;-p

[I wish I could blog about it . . . but I don't know WTF is wrong w/ my host guy: he's not returning my e's :-(]

Feel better soon, LC!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I hadn't heard about this new show before, The Book of Daniel: sounds F-in great!

[But, as someone who loved---and then quickly lost---Nothing Sacred (OBM {sniff!}), I'm afraid I expect it will be EITHER Good, or popular. Not both. :-/]

LutheranChik said...

Oh, Nothing Sacred was a wonderful show -- then came the idiot television executives who kept switching it on the schedule, then cancelling it. Gaah!

Bag Lady said...

Your description of The Book of Daniel sounds like they accurately captured Episcopalians (I'm allowed to say that--I am Espicopalian).

Okay, sorta joking. But we seem to like things messy, emotionally. Something to do with being broken, living in a broken world.

Sometimes it seems downright sick, and at others it seems absolutely grace-filled.

WTF.

LutheranChik said...

BL et al: My question, in anticipating this show, is whether it's a humorous/sympathetic/ultimately respectful treatment of parish life "writ large" for dramatic effect, the way hospital or police dramas work, or whether it's a craven attempt by people who know nothing of what they're writing about to cram as many "selling points" into the show as possible because their corporate bean counters and psy-ops people have determined that these are sure-fire-hit plot lines for TV shows.

The first time I ever saw "Nothing Sacred," my first impression was, "This show is written by someone who's actually worked in a church and knows how people whose day job is in a church act and talk when other parishoners aren't around." And I was right. So I'll be interested in "The Book of Daniel."

will smama said...

wtfwjd?

That DAM funny,