Monday, December 05, 2005

Monday Evening Quarterbacking

"So, LutheranChik...how did Sunday morning go?"

I'll tell ya. It went swell. More than swell.

Oh, we had a couple of startup glitches. Before the service started I asked the pastor, "Do we process up together, or is one of us in front of the other, or how does that work?" And it turns out we don't know. So we'll have to look that up. The Velcroed collar of my alb kept making alarming scriiiiiitch noises whenever I moved. I also almost forgot to bow to the altar at the end of the service, and we had some momentary confusion about who says, "Go in peace. Live the Gospel." And I chickened out of my plan to ad-lib the Prayers of the Church; wound up squinting at my notes in one hand while attempting unilateral worship choreography with the other.

And no matter how many times you've sat through a church service, how many times you've rehearsed that service in your head, how many times you've wanted to be front and center in the service -- there's always that moment when you're standing there, looking out at dozens of expectant faces, and your mind goes completely, flatline blank...even with the liturgy right in front of you.

Yes, I know; I can be pretty anal at times.

But here's the good stuff.

It never fails to both astound and humble me what a privilege it is to lead worship. How many times have I slouched into church on a Sunday morning, part of me not wanting to be there and part of me desperately longing for a word? Helping people find the words when they don't have any of their own. That thought stayed with me all morning; that is what I was doing. I tend to be rather soft-spoken; during the service I found myself speaking loudly, slowly, clearly. I also tried explaining things as I went along; after the sermon, when it came time to say the Creed, I pointed out that the first part of the service -- the assurance of forgiveness; the lessons; the sermon -- focused on God's "yes" to us, and that the Creed and the Sharing of the Peace were our "yes" to God and to one another. I had a vague idea that I was going to say that, and I can't quite remember how I did say that, exactly, but I did.

I also found myself doing things I don't normally do as a civilian in the pew. Sometimes worshippers, especially newbies, are a little shy; they don't know what to do; they don't know how to act. During the informal pre-service warmup sing-along I got a little more animated than I normally do, to let people know that was okay. And at the end of the prayers, when we invite people to pray for specific people or situations in their lives, aloud or silently, I said names aloud -- names of several people who are probably reading this post, as a matter of fact. Because, again, I wanted people to know it was okay to do that, if they wanted. It's harder for me to do that sitting in the pew with my mother; I'm not sure why, but it is, so I usually keep my prayers to myself. But not yesterday.

And I also felt a very profound sense of carrying other people with me to the front of the sanctuary -- people feeling disempowered, dismissed, despised by Churchianity. Yeah, I know; I'm doing my AM dog-and-pony show in a little congregation somewhere between a hayfield and a state forest; personal guerilla theater; big deal; no one cares: "Can anything good come out of Outer Podunk County?" Well -- if not here, where?

Today I got a very gracious e-mail from the pastor that basically told me I'm not going to be fired anytime soon. And they're ordering me an alb of my own.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you received a full blessing for answering your call!

Tom in Ontario said...

Amen sister. On Sunday after church I did an acolyte training session and told them when they're up front they're ministers, helping the people worship. Also, just as Jesus said he came to serve and not to be served, they're following Jesus' example when they're serving up front.

Paul Bosch, a retired pastor, campus chaplain, seminary instructor, and liturgical nit-picker, has said that the ministers up front (Presiding minister, assisting minister(s), acolytes, choir) are the cheerleaders and the people in the pews are the team on the field. We're up front facilitating their worship.

I love what I do. Presiding at worship is my favorite part of ministry. Congratulations on what sounds like a very good experience Sunday morning.

Shalom

Christopher said...

Sound very cool! Congratulations.
Peace,
Chris

Jules said...

I'm so glad to hear that it was swell!

I was cheering you on in my black Geneva Gown!

Anonymous said...

Okay, call me a materialistic chicken if you will, but I'm excited for you to be getting your own alb! Kind of a liturgical "seal of approval"! You go, girl!

Cathy said...

I knew things would go just fine for you. Anyone that gets that excited about helping lead worship will do great.
December 22 I will officiate at church during the Office of Evening Prayer. I am very excited -- as you are!
Cathy

Anonymous said...

I know from where you are coming. I will serve as our church's Assisting Minister this Sunday. I'm thrilled that the Old Testament lesson doesn't double as a geography lesson, but am struggling with the wording of what I want to say in our Prayers of the Day.

I think anyone who wants to have their faith jump-started should be a part of serving Communion. Telling other people that this is body or the blood given for YOU is a powerful experience.

Christopher said...

I'm trying to make sense out of the litury of the United Reformed Church I'm preaching/leading service at on the 8th of January. Your formula of "1st half is God’s yes to us, 2nd half is our yes to God" is what I'm basing the structure on.
Peace,
Chris