Friday, December 09, 2005

Friday Five -- Snow Big Deal

Taking up the RevGalBlogPals' Friday Five:

Snow: love it or hate it?
I love looking at it; I can have a pretty good time playing in it (snowshoeing, for instance); I hate driving in it.

First snow memory
Oh, that's got to be the snowsuit. Remember those? My mother used to mummify me in snowsuits, hats and scarves until I looked like the Michelin Kid. Despite this, I was able to sled down our driveway on my dad's green childhood sled. (Not named "Rosebud," by the way.)

Best Snow Day ever (actual or imagined)
One of my best snow days happened, I think, last year during a blizzardy spell, as I was reluctantly packing up one morning for my weekly commute to our satellite office 45 miles away; at quarter to 7:00 I got a call from my coworker and neighbor informing me that the bosses had decided to close the office. Boo-yah!

Best use of snow in a movie, song, book or poem
The snow scenes and music in A Charlie Brown Christmas come to mind. The song "Sleigh Ride" -- I always wanted to be the sleighbell-jangler. One of our regional public radio stations always plays "Sleigh Ride" at the first snowfall of the season; I have a happy memory of driving up M-115 toward Frankfort one early November morning, playing hooky from the closing session of some godawful work-related conference at a local resort, enjoying the drama of the heavy, gunmetal-gray sky, and the swirling flurries on the road and "Sleigh Ride" on the radio.

What you are planning to do today, with or without snow
Well, I wasn't planning on it, but I spent a kind of mental snow day recuperating on the sofa.

No comments: