Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sick

I've been home sick for two days now, with That Bug That's Going Around. Actually around here I'm told there are two bugs floating around simultaneously: the fevery/achy/sniffly/scratchy throat bug and the barfy, bathroomy stomach flu bug. Mine is the former.

While "enjoy" is not a word I'd use for a sick day, there is something to be said for a quiet day on the sofa under a blanket.

Sickness seems to be synonymous with Christmastime. I know that part of this is simply a function of more shoppers and travelers swapping germs in busy public places; but I wonder if there isn't also a psychological element to it -- if at some point, if one is feeling overwhelmed by holiday obligations and "to do" lists and multitasking, the body eventually protests, "No mas!" and allows itself to succumb to a handy URI, just to slow the world down for a few days.

1 comment:

LoieJ said...

I hope you have payed sick days with your job. My husband found out that his "personal days" (vacation) also include sick days.