Thursday, December 04, 2008

Booyah Humbug

The Christmas season is becoming ever more understated at the office. Between the dismal economy and a looming restructuring here (one of the counties of our two-county agency service area wants to break off and go it alone, putting the job status of half the staff in jeopardy), spirits are not particularly happy and bright. An attempt by one of my more studiously cheerful coworkers to pull together an office decorating party after work tonight was unsuccessful. The agency Christmas party was cancelled due to a combination of expense, public perception and a precipitous drop in staff participation over the years. We're still having our traditional office potluck the day before we depart for the holiday weekend, but a kibosh has been put on office gift exchanges.

To all of which I say: Thank God. It's such a relief to be spared the distraction and expense and pretense of enforced workplace Christmas spirit.

3 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Oh. I thought this was going to be on why you didn't like booya. (It's something I've never had, perhaps similar to Brunswick stew and made in huge kettles by firefighters and similar groups, at least in Minnesota, so I thought maybe it would be in Michigan too). I always enjoyed the workplace celebrations because I was fortunate to work in small workplaces with people I liked. I can see how a different situation would make a big difference.

Scott said...

It brings to mind that lovely birthday celebration in the movie "The Office." Wow, I hope you don't work in THAT office. Ick.

Kathryn said...

YES :-)
I share your relief...