Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Five: The Eyes Have It


This week's RevGalBlogPals Friday Five is about the windows of the soul -- eyes.

1. What color are your beautiful eyes? Did you inherit them from or pass them on to anyone in your family?
I have brown eyes -- unlike my parents, who had hazel eyes, and unlike many other extended family members. My paternal grandmother had brown eyes, though; and her particular branch of the family tends toward dark Slavic features, including almond-shaped brown eyes, hinting at places in Eastern Europe where Asian DNA became part of the local blend. Any geneticists reading this -- have at it.

2. What color eyes would you choose if you could change them?
Oh, I like my eyes just the way they are, thanks.

3. Do you wear glasses or contacts? What kind? Like 'em or hate 'em?
I wear geeky black-framed reading glasses. I like them. I like them so much that I'm constantly losing them.

4. Ever had, or contemplated, laser surgery? Happy with the results?
My mother had cataract surgery. The surgery itself was a pretty slick procedure, but Mom wasn't entirely happy with the result in one of her eyes. I think I'd have to be looking at (pardon the pun)a cataract or some similarly serious impediment to sight to let surgeons go poking around my eyeball.

5. Do you like to look people in the eye, or are you more eye-shy?
I am generally eye-shy. Ironically, this goes away when I'm mad. So if you see me glaring at you eyeball to eyeball, watch out!

2 comments:

LoieJ said...

Ditto what you said on #4. I have to wear glasses to find my glasses, but nobody is touching my eyes with a knife or laser in their hand until I have cateracts. Well, then maybe I'll be glad because they can make it so you don't need glasses for distance or for both distance and reading.

I had 6 eye checkups in the last half year due to two different eye problems. Fortunately, that cleared up, but compromised sight is scary, especially the time I was seeing big black blobs in my line of sight.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Way cool genetic analysis.