Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Advent Calendars

When I was little, I knew it was Christmastime when my aunt brought out her very old Advent calendar and set it on her parlor windowsill. It was heavy cardboard, covered in tarnished glitter, and showed a picture of Mary and Joseph on their journey to Bethlehem. I can't even remember what was printed behind each door.

These days I'm rather fond of online Advent calendars. And here, for your own viewing pleasure, are some interactive online calendars I found surfing:

St. Margaret Mary Parish Advent Calendar

Grace Cathedral Advent Calendar (This one needs a DSL connection)

New York Carver Advent Calendar For all the medievalists out there, enjoy!

Teme Valley South Advent Calendar

Episcopal Diocese of Washington Advent Calendar

It's a little ironic to me that, considering the northern European love of Advent calendars, more Lutherans haven't created online versions. What's up with that, Lutheran 'puter geeks?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's because you can't put chocolates behind the little doors (like the ones I remember from childhood.)

Jody Harrington said...

I love these Advent calendars! What a range of creativity they display. Thanks for the links.