Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Work of the People, Indeed!

I've just spent all evening working on the Friday-night service I was assigned for this weekend's retreat.

I've got to tell you -- this is hard. I used to be on my student parish worship committee back in my university days, and helped with a few home-grown liturgies, but this is the first one since my spiritual meanderings took me away, and then back, to the Church.

Our weekend is focused on justice. I wanted to address that...but I also wanted to do it in the context of the Compline, which to me doesn't exactly lend itself to the sort of revved-up prophetic words we're going to be hearing and discussing. But I somehow pulled it together, kind of. We'll see. This time tomorrow I might be Googling "Purpose-Driven Devotionals" or some such thing. (Just kidding.)

Anyway, here's my benediction, which I found elsewhere on the Internet:



A Franciscan Benediction
May God bless us with discomfort,
At easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships,
So that we may live deep within our hearts.

May God bless us with anger,
At injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people,
So that we may work for justice, freedom, and peace.

May God bless us with tears,
To shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war,
So that we may reach out our hands to comfort them and turn their pain to joy.

And may God bless us with enough foolishness,
To believe that we can make a difference in this world,
So that we can do what others claim cannot be done.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful Benediction. May I use it in a liturgy I am trying to write for our Home Group evenings? I see the caller saying the first line, and the group the following lines in each verse.

LutheranChik said...

I found the same prayer in a couple of different places...go for it!

Dora said...

That benediction makes me want to whisper, "Amen."

Jules said...

Beautiful. A wonderful way to end the service for Reformation/All Saints/Confirmation Day, I think!

Kat said...

Fantastic benediction - can I nick it too please? Morning prayer stuff for me...or maybe even main evening service. We'll see.

LutheranChik said...

I think this is in the public domain...so it belongs to everyone!