Sunday, October 23, 2005

Diary of a Delinquent Churchgoer

I stayed home from church today.

It was the one Sunday this month that we weren't doing anything special at our parish, and/or where I didn't have a job to do front and center. My mother -- for whom getting ready for church on Sunday mornings is equivalent to preparing for an ascent up K2; that's what happens to you when you hit your 80's -- wasn't keen on going to church today. I'm headed on retreat this coming weekend, which means a double-dose of church. The aching Gordian knot in my upper back, which only goes away on weekends, was still in the process of loosening up Saturday night. And I wanted pancakes.

So that is what we did...stayed in bed until 8:00 a.m. Then we had pancakes. They were very good. Then I prayed the Morning Prayer, and noted with irony the first appointed Psalm ("I was glad when they said to me, 'Let us go the house of the Lord'..."), and the Old Testament lesson, from the Book of Haggai, talking about the complacent and irreligious lolling around in their own houses while the house of the Lord lies in ruins. Yeah, I get it.

But sometimes -- sigh -- you just need to loll.

5 comments:

jo(e) said...

I am so in favor of lolling.

Unknown said...

Amen, sister.

Charlotte said...

Girlfriend, some times you just need a day off.

I'm always cheerful on the days that I am not "working" ;-).

Anonymous said...

+ (Making my not-for-Sunday-Primetime layperson's absolution)

Loll on, sista! (I did it a couple of weeks ago, too. Saturday retreat's Mass---coupled w/ no Sunday acolyte/EuchMin duties---almost guaranteed it. ;-/)

Pink Shoes said...

Well done in your lolling -- pancakes and morning prayer -- I'm certain that your experience was just as God-filled (dare I ponder: if not more?) as if you'd been "at church."