Thursday, October 27, 2005

More Service Stuff

I'm getting ready for my retreat tomorrow...getting packed (strange how much stuff I wind up packing for a retreat), packing two brownbag meals -- the Chik being on the economy lodging plan -- making sure I have all my assignments done. (I tried the Luther Seminary Communion bread recipe, and it didn't come out right either -- I think there's some sort of bad mojo going on with my baking capabilities -- so I wound up going to Plan C, supermarket pita bread. Sigh.)

I'm not going to write up my entire service here, because most of it is out of the hymnal, but here are the parts I tweaked:

The Confession: We confess that we have not loved you with our whole hearts, nor have we loved those whom you love. We confess that we forget "the least of these" among us. We confess that we take comfort in our prejudices, our complacency and our silence when you call us to mend the broken places in our world and to speak the liberating prophetic word, in your name and to your glory. Hear us, O God, for your mercy is great.

I chose Psalm 33 for the Psalm reading. I picked three short Scripture readings -- still, a somewhat heavy load for a Compline service, but it's my liturgy, so there: Isaiah 61:10-11; Hebrews 13:20-21; Matthew 14:14-16.

And you've read my benediction, in the post below.

Every time I read through my work I see things I want to change, but I am resisting the impulse. We'll see how it plays in Peoria (or, more accurately, out in the woods of northern Michigan).

4 comments:

bls said...

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

yeah Hope it's blessed. Your tweaked prayers sound lovely

PS I have a great never fail recipe for communion bread (no yeast)

email me I'll give it to you

lorna AT heavenlytrain DOT com

ok?

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, but I gotta tell you that after the sermon I heard yesterday, I am sorry that you left bondage to sin out of your confession. I like the other tweakings, but we (I think) need to hear about bondage to sin.

Due to weird circumstances I got to hear our sermon twice yesterday. our preacher really explained the importance of that phrase. She said (my paraphrase) that we believe we are free like the Jews did - that we have no chains. However we really do depend on God's mercy and grace for our freedom. It is not in our control.

Sorry for the diatribe, this is the voice of someone who just "got" it.

I hope that the retreat went well and that your service was meaningful to those who were there.
I know that your benediction knocked their socks off.

Patty (weavinglibrarian@hotmail.com)

LutheranChik said...

Hi, Patty! Good observation. I will be tweaking this service in case I have to pull it out again.;-)