Sunday, January 18, 2009

Clueless in Castoria

First things first: It's come to my attention that, even though I still live in Outer Podunk County, I no longer live, technically speaking, in the community of Outer Podunk. Which poses a dilemma: What clever pseudonym can I invent for the town I now call home, which lies about 10 miles south of Outer Podunk? "South Succotash" is too Reagan-y; Inner Podunk is too spacy. So, at least for now, consider me a new citizen of Castoria. (The closest zoological allusion I can make to this community, whose name is cause for much local locker-room smirkery.)

Anyway: Yesterday Stepson #2 and Semi-Daughter-in-Law called us in a state of happy shock; an old college pal of theirs with Senate connections had scored them two tickets to the Inauguration. They don't know how they're going to get there, or where they're going to stay when they do, but they're going. They're over the moon.

Well, so were we...I mean, how cool is this?

FT had gone down the street to pick up a late lunch for us at the local pizzaria. As she was waiting, she mentioned to the woman at the counter how excited she was that her son and his girlfriend were going to be in the middle of history being made at the Inauguration.

"Oh. Where's that?" asked the woman.

FT paused. "The Inauguration is in...Washington DC."

"When?"

"Tuesday."

"Oh. Do you want chips?"

3 comments:

LoieJ said...

A college educated friend of mine, whose daughter is a newscaster, no kidding, always reacts blankly when something in the news is mentioned. Oh well. I'm a news junkie, but sometimes I go cold turkey because I know that things go on whether I know about them or not.

LoieJ said...

Ah yeah...and some people are just stupid. Don't blame it on Podunk. My son's girlfriend's family seem to my son to be out of it when it comes to some current events. Maybe that is why they voted for Bush.

celticjulia said...

OMG. Shocking.