Monday, October 01, 2007

The Accidental Graduate

My fellow lay ministry student S picks me up in the driveway Friday morning for the trip to our next retreat. The retreat topics are material we've studied before, back at the beginning of our association with this program.

"So," I ask S jokingly, "when ya think they're finally gonna graduate us?"

We puzzle aloud about why we're having to re-take the same courses -- why our curriculum would be time-based, not subject-based -- then move on to other topics of discussion for the next hour.

But when we arrive at the retreat site, S asks the facilitators when we're due to graduate from the program. The facilitators tip-tap at their laptops for a few seconds.

"Oops."

It seems that we already have graduated. But no one knew. Well, alrighty then!

Anyway, I am now a freshly minted lay minister whose final hurdle is simply being installed in my parish. After which I'll be doing...well, the same things in my church that I've already been doing, sans portfolio.

You'd think I'd feel more graduated, out of one thing and into another. Oh, well.

7 comments:

Trish said...

If it's any consolation to you, I didn't really react very joyously when I graduated college, either. But, I get giddy at the thought of all kinds of "little" things. I guess it might have to do with perspective...

LoieJ said...

I'll comment on the possitive blog entry rather than on the (other) accidental one. Congratulations! I guess. The I guess is that I don't think that there is a whopping lot of notice of this type of thing most places. One AIM I know told me that she wasn't getting a "call" because the churches weren't asking for AIMS and they weren't asking for AIMS because the synod wasn't telling anybody that AIMS were available.

Well, maybe you're not quite in the same boat, but you get the picture. Anyway, sounds like YOUR pastor has respect for you already, so that's great!

Hi from across Lake Michigan. I'm over here in Wisconsin using my old computer originally from 1995! I can see the lake from the front door. I'm actually 10 miles south of where the ferry from Ludington would dock.

David said...

I just checked your file on my computer and I see that I have already congratulated you.

You know, there is nothing like a good joke and that was certainly nothing like a good joke.

Congratulations!

Cathy said...

Congrats!

I don't think I'm ever going to graduate, considering that I keep transferring into longer programs, but it must feel good at least in a small way to have completed a program.

Sally said...

Congratulations...prayers for many blessings as you continue your ministry....

Not the best graduation ceremony though- hopefully your praish will respond!

Anonymous said...

you keep going for fun :)

CONGRATULATIONS !

Anonymous said...

Mazel Tov!