Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Christmas I Didn't Bake


This is not only the first Christmas I'll be spending away from home -- it's the first Christmas, since my junior high school days, when I will not be baking Christmas cookies.

It's weird; very weird. I am okay, even excited, by the prospect of worshipping at a Lutheran church in The Kids' neighborhood where the parishoners are predominantly Asian. I can get behind the Mexican menu requested by Son #2 (who lives with a vegetarian and who has been hosting mostly vegetarian extended family for the last month now and has rather plaintively requested that the moms provide some meat entrees during our stay there). But the thought of the cookie cutters, rolling pin and my mother's collection of holiday recipe books lying dormant during this time of pre-Christmas preparation is very hard to deal with. I think I'm going through withdrawal.

Last weekend we attended a cookie walk put on by the Presbyterian church in our little community, to procure some homemade cookies for Son #1 and his partner and for our nephew, a hearty eater who loves our annual cookie box. Nice cookies; many fancier than my usual selection. They tasted swell too. (We purchased a few extra for quality control purposes.) But -- it just wasn't the same packing them up.

Fellow Traveler suggested that we bake a pan of raspberry bars -- an easy, forgiving recipe -- while we're in Brooklyn.  That might help.

6 comments:

Terri said...

I don't think I made any cookies last year and thought I wouldn't make any this year either...but I did, at least a little. So, I totally understand this withdrawal...but really once you are with the kids and the new baby (right???)...all will be fun!

LoieJ said...

You can always bake during the January doldrums. I hope I get around to baking.

zorra said...

Yeah, I abstained from Christmas baking a few years ago. It felt really, really wierd.

I can cut back, but I can't quit. :)

Gilly said...

American cookies look so much more fun that British Biscuits!

But some of those would come under the heading of cakes in GB.

So when does a cookie become a cake??

They all look absolutely scrumptious!

Tom in Ontario said...

I don't get it. Why does spending Christmas away from home preclude baking Christmas cookies? It seems heretical not to bake at least three different recipes at some time before or during the Christmas season.

Kate Elliott, editor, LWT said...

Hi LutheranChik. I read your blog all the time and really appreciate it. I'm the editor of Lutheran Woman Today and would like to contact you about possibly writing for us (it's a paying gig) and to suggest you enter your blog in the Associated Church Press awards contest in the blog category. You can contact me at LWT@elca.org. Thanks.