Right at this very moment I am watching Rock Star: Supernova. Yes; me. Yes; that. It's a very guilty pleasure of mine, like Ben & Jerry's Phish Food or blogging instead of vacuuming. I'm enjoying the strong alto girlsingers getting all Janis up on stage; and an hour of reliving my high school air-guitar fantasies; and, on a related note, hearing grownups talk like high-schoolers ("Duuude! That killed! Rock on, man!")
So, since I'm in the mood, I'll present to you a meme I first saw on a fellow RevGalBlogPal's blog -- can't remember who, but a hat tip to you. These are not a list of favorite songs, but a list of favorite parts of songs. I've taken the liberty of narrowing the scope down to popular music (a category which to me includes music from decades long past), and including instrumental portions of songs. And these may not even be my favorite favorite parts of songs -- just five parts that make me grin, and perhaps also want to bring out my imaginary musical instruments, when I hear them. Feel free to borrow.
1. the drum solo interlude in "Sing, Sing, Sing" -- the greatest percussion piece of all time, in my humble opinion
2. The last part of REM's "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" -- and what a fun song that is -- where the band breaks into folky Peter-Paul-and-Mary harmonizing before a cacaphonic finish
3. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T..." -- sock it to me, Aretha
4. Clapton's guitar intro to "Layla"
5. The last minutes of "Stairway to Heaven"
Flick your Bic for five song bits that kill. Rock on.