Hat tip to Dash for cueing us in on this meme, which asks us to name what bits of pop-culture flotsam we are completely unconnected to.
Here's my list:
1. American Idol: I've never watched it and have no desire to watch it. If annoying music is what I want, I'll tune in to The Annoying Music Show and listen to, say, William Shatner's version of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds." Now, that's entertainment.
2. The iPod: Now, this one I'm sad about. You see, I have dialup Internet service; so downloading just one song, let alone a whole iPod's worth of music, is a several-hour affair. Come on, Aunt Bee -- work that Outer Podunk switchboard a little faster, willya?
3.The DaVinci Code: I don't want to debate it; I don't want to boycott it; I just don't give much of a damn about it, when all's said and done. Dan Silva is my "Dan the Man" of thriller fiction; I love his protagonist Gabriel Allon, the art restorer/Mossad assassin with a conscience.
4. NASCAR. I don't get it. One day, a couple of years ago, I asked one of my coworkers what the "8" sticker in her van window meant; she looked at me as if I were insane. "You don't know Driver 8?" she asked incredulously. "A song by REM?" I responded. (Well...it is.)
5. Desperate Housewives: I think I've seen a whole 10 minutes of this show. It was enough.
6.Brittney Spears and all other blonde, slutty girl singers (using the term loosely) with raccoon eye makeup and identical bump-and-grind dance routines. To me they're all interchangeable, like those boy groups of several years ago. I can't keep the names and faces and navels straight.
7."Tom-Kat," "Brangelina" et al, and the celebrity magazines and television shows that keep churning out breathless updates on the details of their lives. I'm supposed to care about these people why, again?
8.Sudoku. I guess I'm just not bright enough for this.
9.Coloring my hair. I've never done it. Now, I will admit to, at one point, wanting to go some shade of reddish brown, which was the color of my hair back in my junior high days...but gosh darn it, I've grown to respect my graying temples. In fact, I find graying temples kind of...ahem...hot. And I'm not just saying that because I have graying temples.
10. Movie remakes, movie remakes of television shows, stage plays based on movies and television shows, etc. Get an idea, people.